Advertisement

Hagerstown teen sentenced in downtown assault

Dimitric D. Winston is scheduled to be back in court on probation violation in unrelated case

August 23, 2011|By DON AINES | dona@herald-mail.com
  • Winston
Winston

A teenager charged as an adult in an April 21 downtown brawl in which one person was stabbed and another hit with a cinderblock pleaded guilty to second-degree assault Tuesday in Washington County Circuit Court.

Dimitric D. Winston, 17, of 325 Summit Ave., Hagerstown, was sentenced by Judge Daniel P. Dwyer to three years in state prison with all of it suspended except the 124 days of time he has already served. Dwyer added another three years on probation.

Winston is scheduled in juvenile court Wednesday for violating probation on an unrelated juvenile case, Dwyer said during the hearing. He was turned over to juvenile authorities to await that hearing.

Under a plea agreement, charges of first-degree assault, reckless endangerment and use of a deadly weapon with intent to injure were dismissed.

"Dimitric Winston on that night got the tar beat out of him," Assistant Public Defender Loren Villa told Dwyer, noting that the fight involved a large number of people and that Winston required treatment at Meritus Medical Center.

Reading from the statement of facts, Deputy State's Attorney Joseph Michael said Winston was on crutches and had a number of visible injuries when police interviewed him at his home. Winston initially denied having been in a fight, telling police he was hurt riding a dirt bike, according to the charging documents.

Hagerstown police alleged that Winston was the person who stabbed Galen S. Myers, 44, of Hagerstown as they fought near the intersection of North Prospect and West Washington streets, the charging documents said.

Police had originally responded to a report of a melee at Byers Stop-N-Go, 152 N. Burhans Blvd. Villa said in court that the fight played out over an area of about two blocks.

Another teenager, Santez M. Thomas, 17, of 133 W. Bethel St., had also been charged as an adult with first- and second-degree assault and reckless endangerment for allegedly striking Thomas Joshua Alexander, 20, of Hagerstown, in the head with a cinderblock. His case was transferred to juvenile court earlier this month, court records said.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|