Friday's storm fizzles compared to Thursday's hail storm in Hagerstown area

August 19, 2011|By CALEB CALHOUN |
  • Sara Renner, 20, of Funkstown submitted this photo of hailstones that fell during Thursday night's thunderstsorm.
Submitted photo

HAGERSTOWN — Heavy rain, lightning and thunder Friday didn't appear to match Thursday night's powerful thunderstorm, which sprayed pocket-change-size hail across Washington County.

Hail the size of nickels was reported in Keedysville and Cavetown; the size of pennies in Leitersburg; and the size of dimes in Funkstown, according to Brian LaSorsa, meteorologist for the National Weather Service.

Ice was still on the ground about 6:30 a.m. Friday, despite the temperature being above 60 degrees. Most of it had melted by the afternoon.

The amount of hail on the ground as well as the lack of wind during the night could have contributed to why the ice had not yet melted by morning, LaSorsa said.

Gusting winds, thunder, lightning and heavy rain returned to the region Friday evening, but there were no reports of hail making an appearance during the second day of severe weather.

A downed tree was reported on a westbound ramp at the junction of Interstate 70 and Md. 68 at Clear Spring, but emergency officials in the Tri-State area Friday evening reported little significant weather-related damage otherwise.

That was not the case, however, with Thursday night's storm, which brought wind speeds clocked above 58 mph, LaSorsa said.

There were reports of multiple trees down in eastern parts of Washington County, according to the National Weather Service's website,

Funkstown residents were out on Poplar Street Friday cleaning up from the thunderstorms that hit the area the night before.

Wilbur King, 76, who was clearing his yard on 108 High St.  in the afternoon, said he was watching television when he  heard the storm move in to the area.

"It was like a bomb or a freight train went through here," he said. "There was some big hail that came down heavy."

King said the storm caused damage to his house, his wife Barbara's car and his tomato patch.

"It beat my tomatoes up," he said. "The windshield on my wife's car was cracked from the storm, too."

King said that when he woke up Thursday morning, he saw leaves everywhere and ice piled up against his front door.

"I couldn't open my screen door, and there was enough ice for me to shovel into a pile," he said. "It's all melted now, though."

Poplar Street resident Sam Intyre was also in his yard Friday afternoon, cleaning up leaves and mowing his lawn. He said he had damage to his house as well.

"There are two shutters on my house beat to a pulp," he said. "I've lived here since 1951, and I've never seen anything like this."

Intyre said he was in bed sleeping when the storm hit.

"It didn't take me long to get out of bed," he said. "When I looked outside this morning, I saw lots of cars beat up and leaves everywhere."

Staff Writer Matthew Umstead contributed to this story.

Send your photos


Send your photos of hail or other damage from Thursday night's storm to

The Herald-Mail Articles