Teen whose brother shot himself with stolen handgun is back in detention center

Marcus Deon Longus faces new charges that he stole a handgun and a car

August 18, 2011|By DON AINES |

A Hagerstown teenager who pleaded guilty in May to hindering police in the accidental shooting of his younger brother is back in the Washington County Detention Center on new charges that he stole a handgun and a car.

Marcus Deon Longus, 17, of 945 W. Washington St., was charged last month with possession of a stolen handgun, possession of a firearm by a minor, having a handgun in a vehicle, having a handgun on his person, motor vehicle theft and two other theft charges, according to Washington County District Court records.

The incident took place on June 28, although he was not taken into custody until July 20, the court records said.

The alleged theft occurred just weeks after his conviction for hindering police in the Sept. 27, 2010, wounding of Mario Longus, then 2, who shot himself in the chest with a stolen handgun in the Little Elliott Drive apartment where their family lived. Mario Longus, now 3, was paralyzed by the gunshot wound.

The gun used in the shooting was removed from the apartment and found in a nearby playground.

Although he was 16 at the time, Marcus Longus was charged as an adult. He was sentenced to one year in jail, with all but 191 days of time served suspended, court records said.

The most recent incident began at another Little Elliott Drive apartment, according to the application for statement of charges filed by Hagerstown police.

A woman told police that Longus and another male known only as "Ra Ra" were in her apartment. Longus asked to use the woman's car for an hour and for something to drink, the charging documents said. The woman left the bedroom and got Longus a drink, but he declined it and left the apartment, the documents said.

A man living in the apartment returned later and discovered his .357-magnum revolver missing from the bedroom closet. The man and woman contacted Longus by cellphone, and he denied stealing the gun, but subsequent attempts to contact him were unsuccessful, the documents said.

Longus also did not return the woman's car, the documents said.

Longus was being held Thursday on $225,000  bond. A preliminary hearing has been scheduled for Oct. 4, court records said.

His father, Glenn D. Goode, is also in the detention center, serving a six-month sentence for possession of the hallucinogenic drug phencyclidine, or PCP, according to court records and a detention center official.

That charge resulted from a search of the family's apartment following the shooting of Mario Longus.

The Herald-Mail Articles