New light pole installed at Municipal Stadium

August 05, 2011|By KATE S. ALEXANDER |
  • A new light pole is prepared for installation at Municipal Stadium Thursday.
By Caleb Calhoun, Staff Writer

HAGERSTOWN — Thelight pole that fell onto the Municipal Stadium baseball field during a storm last week should be up and running again in time for Friday evening's Hagerstown Suns game.

City spokeswoman Mary King said that repairs to the pole were ahead of schedule, and that the new pole was planned for installation around 2 p.m. Thursday.

"This means everything should be good to go for this Friday evening's game," she said.

A severe thunderstorm brought down the 100-foot steel light pole on July 22, just hours before the 7:05 game against Augusta.

Officials canceled the game because there was not enough light to play.

Suns General Manager Bill Farley said at the time that the pole fell between the end of the bleachers and the picnic area on the third-base side.

The pole hit the front corner of the beer garden overhang, crushed a low section of chain-link fencing before coming to rest on the field just behind third base, he said.

The pole's lamps landed face down, strewing broken glass across left field.

To remove the pole from the field, a crew from the Hagerstown Light Department cut the fixture into pieces.

Farley said on the day of the incident that he was told the that the pole had been rusting at the base.

The Suns planned to have diagnostics run on the remaining seven light poles to inspect for similar rust.

King said Thursday that the diagnostics on the other poles were delayed this week because of weather, but that the city's goal was to have X-rays completed on the poles and to address any other issues by the end of next week.

The Suns, who rent the stadium from the city, had to move several home games to an earlier time in the day to maximize daylight.


Editor's note: This story was edited Aug. 5, 2011, to correct the date that the light pole fell and to correct when the city hopes diagnostics on the remaining poles might be completed.

The Herald-Mail Articles