Two men charged in Falling Waters woman's death waive right to preliminary hearing

Defendant from Hancock is son of slain woman, stepson of man wounded during May 27 burglary

August 03, 2011|By MATTHEW UMSTEAD |
  • Stitley

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. — Two men charged in the death of Vickie E. Clem, the mother of one of the men, and the stabbing of her husband in a violent burglary in May at the couple’s Falling Waters, W.Va., area home waived their right to a preliminary hearing in Berkeley County Magistrate Court.

Both Joshua L. Stitley, 32, of Hancock and Roy L. Wisotzkey, 33, of Hagerstown are charged with first-degree murder, attempted murder, armed robbery and malicious assault, according to court documents.

Stitley is Clem’s son.

Both defendants separately waived their right to a preliminary hearing on the charges without appearing in court before Magistrate JoAnn Overington, who was assigned the case.

Both cases are bound over to Circuit Court, where the state can present evidence to a grand jury in an effort to gain indictments.

Both remained in Eastern Regional Jail, where they were being held Wednesday without bond, according to jail records.

Attorney Robert C. Stone has been appointed to represent Stitley and Christopher Prezioso has been appointed to represent Wisotzkey.

Police allege Wisotzkey and Stitley went to the Clems’ house at 81 Vinca Lane in Potomac Heights subdivision with a sword and a baseball bat with the intention of burglarizing the house, according to police.

Police responded to the home to investigate at 8:21 a.m. on May 27 after a caller told authorities that a naked man was in her front yard and he was yelling for help.

Stitley's stepfather, Jack Clem, was stabbed during an argument, police have said.

His wife died of multiple blunt force trauma, officials have said.

The men were arrested shortly afterward in a van along Hedgesville Road (W.Va. 9).

Stitley was seen drinking from a pint bottle of vodka as a West Virginia State Police trooper approached to speak to him, according to court documents. He appeared to be intoxicated and admitted he had consumed a lot of vodka, police had said.

Police have alleged that Stitley said he stabbed his stepfather and pushed him down the stairs during an argument.

The Herald-Mail Articles