Chaney beats Funkstown for state title

July 31, 2011|By JACK HILL III | Staff Correspondent
  • Funkstown's Tyeler Presgraves, left, tries to make a play as Chaney's Tre Harding advances to second base in the fourth inning Sunday at Municipal Stadium.
By Joe Crocetta/Staff Photographer

HAGERSTOWN — Funkstown Post 211 finished second in the Maryland American Legion State Baseball Tournament at Municipal Stadium with a 3-2 tournament record.

Chaney Enterprises went 5-0 in the double-elimination tournament, capped by a 10-3 victory over Funkstown on Sunday in the championship game.

Funkstown, which ended with a 22-7 overall record, suffered both of its losses in the tournament to Chaney.

“Chaney is a good, good, good ballclub,” Funkstown manager Jeff Williams said. “They are going to represent Maryland well in the regional tournament in Boyertown, Pa. They play good, solid, fundamental baseball.”

“Overall, it was a terrific and wonderful season,” Williams added. “We have got a great bunch of young men that played good ball all year long. I am proud of every one of them.”

Chaney manager Bernie Stratchko said it took a total team effort to get the championship trophy.

“Every single player that we brought with us had something to do with us winning the championship,” Stratchko said. “They either pitched, hit or played the field. It is what we worked for all year. It has been our goal all year.”

The tournament MVP was Chaney third baseman Nick Huff. He and Funkstown catcher Trevor Haupt had .467 batting averages for the tourney.

Chaney southpaw pitcher Trevor Franklin, who had a 1.20 ERA during the tournament, got the win in Sunday’s game as he pitched the first seven innings. Huff then pitched the last two in relief.

Leadoff batter Trey Simmons had two RBIs and two runs scored for Chaney on Sunday, while Tre Harding had three hits in the victory.

Ryne Willard had three hits and Jack Schwartz added two for Funkstown. Haupt had two RBIs and Aaron Stoner had the other RBI for Funkstown.

Funkstown took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the second. Willard led off with a single to left, took second on a passed ball, moved to third on a wild pitch and scored on Stoner’s grounder to the shortstop.

But Chaney got its offense going in the top of the fourth with an eight-run rally for an 8-1 lead. The one-out rally started when both Jeff Fitch and Huff walked. Brandon Remalia put Chaney in the lead with a two-run double to left and then went to third on a wild pitch. One out later, Mike Escanilla was hit by a pitch and stole second.

Simmons then whacked a two-run triple to right. After that, Harding singled to center to knock in Simmons. After Byron Campbell reached on an error, Zach Keeler singled to center to drive in Harding. Campbell came home on a wild pitch. After Fitch drew his second walk of the inning, Huff singled to center to bring home Keeler.

“Last year, we went two and out,” Stratchko said. “We have about half of the guys from last year. The returnees showed some good leadership. Some guys have been here for three or four years. They knew what to do when they got here. The new guys bought into the system.”

The Herald-Mail Articles