Alleged shooter called victim at least 15 times on day she was slain

Randy McPeak is charged with first-degree murder in the death of Heather Harris

July 27, 2011|By DON AINES |
  • McPeak

A sometimes pleading Randy McPeak sent scores of text messages to Heather Harris in the days before he allegedly shot her, while her responses showed frustration over his refusal to accept the end of their relationship, according to documents filed Tuesday by county prosecutors.

McPeak, 43, of Berkeley Springs, W.Va., is being held without bond on charges that include first-degree murder for the June 10 shooting of Harris, 37, at her Dual Highway home. Shot twice in the head, Harris died June 15 at Meritus Medical Center.

McPeak "called the victim's cellular telephone at least 15 times on the morning of June 10, 2011, beginning at 6:06 a.m. and ending at 11:27 a.m.," according to a bill of particulars filed  by the Washington County State's Attorney's Office.

During that time, he also sent her eight text messages, with Harris sending three replies, the documents said.

Harris' last two texts to McPeak were "I hate u leave me alone" and "gettn my ... # changed again thanx a lot," the documents stated.

At 11:31 a.m. — about the time investigators believe McPeak arrived at her home — he texted to her "Ul nevr hear frm me again.bye."

Twenty-six minutes later, he called a friend, telling her, "I did it, I did it, she's dead," the documents said.

The Washington County Special Response Team got Harris out of the house at about 7:30 p.m., but McPeak did not surrender until 10:01 p.m., the documents said.

The bill of particulars details evidence the prosecutors say they have to support the charges against McPeak, including use of a handgun in commission of a crime of violence. It stated Harris was shot with a .25-caliber Beretta, but did not detail where he got the weapon.

McPeak was also charged with transporting a handgun. He had a .380-caliber Cobra in his personal vehicle, which he left parked where he worked at the Washington County Department of Water Quality in Williamsport, the documents said.

He bought the handgun at a Berkeley Springs pawn shop in 2009, the documents said.

Witnesses saw McPeak leave work at about 11 a.m. on June 10. McPeak drove a county vehicle to Denny's Restaurant on Dual Highway, then went by foot to Harris' home at 1606 Dual Highway, the documents said.

The text messages listed in the documents begin on June 6, when he sent several messages asking Harris to talk to him.

"Realy need 2 talk 2 u 2nite hun plez," he texted.

"Told u I will talk when I'm ready don't harass me," Harris texted back.

On June 7, Harris texted McPeak that "u need 2 let go." McPeak responded a few texts later: "K.but i cant. ive nevr let go of u. things can change.n they have.i wil mary u wenever ur ready. i love u. that much."

On June 9, the day before the shooting, Harris texted McPeak that her mother Brenda Cole, with whom she lived, had "called the cops on u. u tried 2 break in." McPeak responded a few minutes later that he was at home.

Also contained with the bill of particulars is an allegation that McPeak went to Meritus Medical Center on June 3 when Harris was a patient there.

In the days before the shooting, McPeak is alleged to have gone to the Frederick hair salon where Harris worked and was believed to have been in the vicinity of her home on the evening of June 9 and at about 7:30 a.m. on June 10, the documents said.

The bill of particulars also alleges his actions violated a peace order Harris had obtained against McPeak through Washington County District Court.

McPeak is currently scheduled for a jury trial in December, according to court records.

The Herald-Mail Articles