BB&T bank robbery suspect caught

Michael Anthony Cape was being held in Eastern Regional Jail on multiple charges in addition to bank robbery

July 27, 2011|By MATTHEW UMSTEAD |
  • Cape

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. — A Jefferson County man accused of robbing the branch office of BB&T at 1111 Winchester Ave., near Martinsburg last week was being held in Eastern Regional Jail Wednesday night on multiple charges in addition to bank robbery.

Michael Anthony Cape, 25, also faces misdemeanor counts of destruction of property, fleeing on foot, resisting arrest and obstructing police, according to court documents.

Cape, of 67 Carlson Lane, Harpers Ferry, W.Va., was arraigned Wednesday morning by Magistrate Joan V. Bragg, who set a $60,000 cash-only bond,  the court documents said.

Cape was captured Tuesday night after three people alerted Martinsburg patrol Officer M.J. Somers in the 400 block of Winchester Avenue that the defendant had just passed him in a blue car, the documents said.

Moments later, Somers saw the defendant get out of a car in the 800 block of Winchester Ave. and flee on foot carrying a large bag, the documents said.

Somers got out of her cruiser and chased Cape, who did not heed orders to stop, but was ultimately captured after he tripped and fell. Somers said Cape resisted arrest and was shocked with a Taser a second time after he started to kick another officer, the documents said.

A homeowner in the 800 block of Winchester Avenue later told police that the defendant damaged his fence while trying to flee from Somers, the documents said.

Last Thursday, police said Cape fled on foot from the BB&T bank after taking an undisclosed amount of money. Bank employees told police that the robber claimed to have an explosive device and a gun when he demanded money.

Shortly after the robbery, police found an item used in the bank robbery at the Heritage Inn that witnesses said was owned by the defendant, the court records said.

Witnesses also told police that the defendant left the motel after being involved in an incident involving the discharge of a handgun there and fled with a lot of cash in his possession that he did not have beforehand.

The clothing witnesses described Cape to be wearing earlier in the day also matched clothing descriptions of the person who robbed the bank, the records said.  

The robbery is at least the third heist at the bank since December 2010, when the bank was robbed twice.

The Herald-Mail Articles