Advertisement

Travel trailer described as 'total loss' after Gruber Road fire

July 19, 2011
  • A travel trailer parked at a residence on Gruber Road south of Clear Spring was destroyed by a fire Tuesday afternoon.
By Caleb Calhoun/Mobile Journalist

CLEAR SPRING — A fire that destroyed a 36-foot camper on Gruber Road Tuesday afternoon started in the kitchen, according to the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office.

A preliminary cause of the 12:51 p.m. fire at 13118 Gruber Road was a malfunction of a refrigerator unit, the fire marshal's office said in an investigation report.

The estimated loss of the 2006 Montana Keystone camper was put at $28,000, while the estimated damage to the camper's contents was $7,000, the report said.

  Firetrucks from the Clear Spring and Williamsport fire departments arrived on the scene around 1 p.m., extinguishing the fire by 1:20 p.m., according to Sgt. Warren Royce of the Clear Spring Fire Department.

  However, the camper was destroyed by then, Royce said.

  A part of what was left of the camper rekindled at about 1:30 p.m., but that fire was put out by 1:45 p.m., he said.

  Rodney Snyder, who co-owns the camper with his wife, Susan Snyder, an employee of The Herald-Mail Co., said he was at work when he was notified of the fire.

  "I got a call about something at my house catching on fire," he said. "At first I thought it was my house on fire."

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|