W.Va. standoff ends with man's surrender

July 08, 2011|By MATTHEW UMSTEAD |

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. — A Falling Waters, W.Va., man barricaded himself in the attic of a home for about three hours early Friday after police arrived to arrest him on domestic battery charges, according to court documents.

Timothy Allen Butts, 32, of 186 Nestle Quarry Road, was in Eastern Regional Jail on a $27,500 cash-only bond set Friday by Berkeley County Magistrate Joan V. Bragg, according to court and jail records.

Butts was arraigned on two felony counts of domestic battery third offense, which stem from alleged incidents in April 2011 and November 2010, according to court records.

Butts also was charged with obstructing police and petit larceny, according to court records.

In a memo to Bragg, West Virginia State Police Trooper P.L. North requested a cash-only bond based on concern that Butts would retaliate against the domestic battery victim, according to court documents.

North said Butts also threatened a Berkeley County Sheriff's deputy and was prone to skip bail given the pending felony charges. The trooper said Butts threatened to commit suicide if police did not leave the residence where he was barricaded, according to court documents.

Acting on a tip, police went to 56 Lemen Court near Hedgesville at about 2:50 a.m. to attempt to serve the warrants against Butts, who North said had been "running" from the police, according to court documents.

After repeatedly knocking on the door of the home, a female there finally responded, but she would not answer when asked about Butts' whereabouts, according to court documents.

Police eventually were allowed into the home after the woman was informed of the warrants, and a walk-through of the residence led officers to conclude Butts was hiding in the attic, according to court documents.

"After two hours of attempting to get a response from Mr. Butts he finally stated he would not surrender to us and if we came up to get him he would commit suicide," North said in a complaint filed in magistrate court.

"After another hour of trying to talk Mr. Butts out of the attic, he finally surrendered, but stated he would only surrender to the Sheriff's Department."

The Herald-Mail Articles