Former Hagerstown woman killed in boating accident

July 04, 2011|By JENNIFER FITCH |
  • Margaret Hartman
Submitted photo

HAGERSTOWN — A former Hagerstown resident was killed Saturday in a boating crash on Monroe Bay in northern Virginia, according to Virginia Marine Police and her family.

Margaret Hartman, 53, was in a recreational boat with her husband, Lyle, when the crash occurred Saturday at 4 p.m. near Colonial Beach, police spokesman John Bull said.

A second boat was trailing the one used by the Hartmans. When Lyle Hartman powered down because of a nearby Jet Ski-type watercraft, the boat behind him struck the Hartmans’ boat’s stern, went airborne and landed on Margaret Hartman, Bull said.

Bull said the second boat “basically rear-ended” the one used by the Hartmans.

Lyle Hartman was treated at Mary Washington Hospital in Fredericksburg, Va., and released, then returned home to Brandywine, W.Va., Bull said. No one else was injured, he said.

A medical examiner recovered Margaret Hartman’s body with the intention of performing an autopsy, Bull said.

The funeral service will be Friday at 11 a.m. in Franklin, W.Va.

“She was the type of person who did a lot for people,” said her father, Conrad Beard.

The daughter of Conrad and Barbara Beard, Margaret Hartman was a 1975 graduate of North Hagerstown High School. She worked in Gaithersburg, Md., before moving to West Virginia and working with a farm bureau there.

She is survived by two sons, Thomas Hammer and Isaac Wilson Hartman.

Conrad Beard, who lives in Hagerstown, said his daughter and her husband enjoyed riding four-wheelers, fishing and boating. She sewed and quilted when visiting her sister in Jefferson, Md.

Although there were four fatalities in three weeks in that region of Virginia, Bull said the circumstances of the Hartman crash differed from others.

“This is a pretty rare situation,” he said.

Bull said police continue to investigate what happened.

“We’ve compounded both vessels. Our forensic boat experts will be going over them stem to stern with a fine-toothed comb,” he said, saying one key part of the investigation will be looking at the boats’ mechanics.

Conrad Beard said his family cannot believe what occurred, saying it’s something you would never think would happen to someone you love.

“As of yet, we haven’t accepted it,” he said.

The Herald-Mail Articles