A fire that started in an aviation hangar paint shop Tuesday morning at Hagerstown Regional Airport was extinguished before it had a chance to spread, the owner of the business said.
Austin Heffernan, owner of Royal Aircraft Services at 18335 Air Park Road, said workers were getting the hangar ready for a paint job when the fire started at about 10:30 a.m.
He said the fire burned for about five minutes before it was put out by a combination of ceiling sprinklers, a foam fire suppressant and a hand-held fire extinguisher.
"It pretty much took care of itself," Heffernan said.
The fire occurred when a floor buffer ignited in an area with heavy fumes, the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office said in a news release.
The subsequent flames crept up a small portion of an interior wall until the building's fire-suppressant system was activated. Smoke damaged a small section of the wall and water collected on the floor of the hangar.
The fire marshal's office said damages were estimated at $900 to the structure and $100 to the contents.
Heffernan said the business would remain closed until the fire-suppressant system could be restored.
The Hagerstown Regional Airport Fire Department, Maugansville Goodwill Volunteer Fire Co., Washington County Emergency Services and Community Rescue Service responded to the scene.