No one injured in Spruce St. fire

June 08, 2011|By CALEB CALHOUN |
  • Firefighters inspect a residence at 738 Spruce St. in Hagerstown following a fire Wednesday morning.
By Yvette May/Staff Photographer

HAGERSTOWN — Firefighters battled a blaze on the second floor of a house at 738 Spruce St. in Hagerstown Wednesday morning.

Capt. Adam Hopkins of the Hagerstown Fire Department said the blaze started on the second floor and spread to the attic by the time he arrived on the scene at 8:58 a.m.

"When we got here we saw smoke and fire coming from the back corner of the house," he said. "We were able to contain it so it didn't spread."

Hopkins said that two adults and four children live on the second floor of the house. Two other adults live on the first floor.

One adult had to be checked for injuries because of a pre-existing condition, but was fine, Hopkins said.

The 700 block of Spruce Street was shut down due to the fire. Hopkins said all units from the Hagerstown Fire Department were on the scene.

"We had to work very quickly to put it out," he said. "Most of the damage seems to be on the exterior of the house."

Morton Hunt, a retired firefighter from St. Mary's County in Southern Maryland, lives on the first floor of the house with his wife, Nancy. He said he didn't notice there was a problem.

"We were just in our bedroom when a neighbor came and knocked on our door and told us to get out," he said. "When I came outside, I saw flames coming from the side of the house."

Hunt said that as a former firefighter, he appreciated the job the firefighters did.

"The house is still standing, and there doesn't look to be too much damage," he said. "And everybody was safe."

Three Hagerstown fire marshals arrived on the scene around 9:45 a.m. to investigate the fire.

Doug DeHaven, a Hagerstown fire marshal, said Wednesday afternoon that the fire was caused by displaced smoking material. He said most of the damage was done on the outside of the house, with only minor smoke and water damage inside.

The couple on the first floor was able to move back in immediately, and the people living on the second floor can move back in when they want to, DeHaven said.

In addition to the Hagerstown Fire Department, firefighters from the Funkstown Fire Department, Antietam Fire Co., and the Halfway Volunteer Fire Co. were at the scene.

Units from Washington County Special Operations and the Washington County Emergency Air Unit were also present, as well as two units from the Hagerstown Community Rescue Service.

The firefighters and rescue squads cleared the scene and reopened the street at 10:25 a.m.

The Herald-Mail Articles