Woman accused of bringing girl to Md., where she was allegedly sexually abused pleads guilty

As part of plea agreement, Christy M. Woods will testify against Gerald Wayne Hubbard

May 03, 2011|By DON AINES |

A woman accused of bringing a child to Maryland where she was allegedly sexually abused by a Boonsboro man pleaded guilty this week in Washington County Circuit Court to second-degree child abuse.

Christy M. Woods, 34, no fixed address, could face up to 15 years in prison if convicted, but Judge Daniel P. Dwyer deferred sentencing until after the trial of Gerald Wayne Hubbard, 67, of 20726 Park Hall Road in Boonsboro, Assistant State's Attorney Brett Wilson said.

As part of a plea agreement on Monday, Woods will testify for the state against Hubbard should his case go to trial, Wilson said.

At the request of Assistant Public Defender Carl F. Creeden, the plea agreement was conducted at the bench, and the discussions leading to the agreement could not be heard.

Hubbard watched the proceedings in the courtroom. Hubbard's case was postponed because one of his defense counsels was unavailable, Wilson said. No new trial date has been set, according to court records.

In exchange for the plea, charges of first- and second-degree sex offense and sexual abuse of a minor against Woods were placed on the inactive docket, according to court records. Those charges could be brought back to court at the discretion of the state or defense within a year, under state law.

Woods, formerly of Tennessee, and Hubbard were charged in 2010 for incidents that the Washington County Sheriff's Office alleges occurred in 2007-08 when Woods brought the girl, then about 5 years old, to a property near Sharpsburg, where they stayed in a Winnebago, the statement of probable cause said.

When the girl returned to Tennessee, she made disclosures of sexual abuse during counseling, which were reported to that state's Department of Children's Services, the charging documents said. The girl told investigators that she had been abused by a man known to her as "GW," the documents said.

The girl told investigators that Woods "taped her mouth shut so she wasn't able to scream" during some of the abuse, the documents said.

In July 2010, investigators from the sheriff's office searched a property on Taylors Landing Road near Sharpsburg that belonged to Hubbard, the documents said. Woods was on the property and was taken into custody.

Woods has been in the county detention center since her arrest, while Hubbard is out on $175,000 bond.

Hubbard is charged with first- and second-degree rape; first-, second-, third- and fourth-degree sex offenses; sexual abuse of a minor; sexual abuse of a minor as a continuing course of conduct; second-degree custodial child abuse; and second-degree assault, according to court records.

The Herald-Mail Articles