Dog dies in fire at Maugansville home

April 17, 2011

MAUGANSVILLE — Firefighters put out a house fire Sunday on Greenfield Avenue in Maugansville after greasy rags on a chair in the basement spontaneously combusted, Fire Lt. Travis Keefer said.

No people were injured, but a dog died and the cat was missing, said Keefer, with Maugansville Goodwill Volunteer Fire Co.

When the residents of 13822 Greenfield Ave., off Maugans Ave., came home Sunday afternoon, they saw smoke coming from the rancher into the carport, Keefer said.

The state fire marshal’s office investigated and estimated the damage to be about $5,000, Keefer said. The fire was contained to the basement, but the home had a lot of smoke damage, he said.

With the wind Sunday, Keefer said he wanted to stay ahead of the fire or it “could have gotten bad real quick.”

According to local weather observer Greg Keefer’s website, at, winds reached up to 51 mph Sunday, though that top gust was Sunday evening.

The American Red Cross was called to assist the family, Lt. Travis Keefer said.

Keefer said 34 firefighters responded to the 4:31 p.m. call, which 911 reported out at 4:52 p.m.

In addition to Maugansville Goodwill, Long Meadow and Greencastle, Pa., fire companies, Washington County Special Operations and the Washington County Air Unit responded.

— Julie E. Greene

The Herald-Mail Articles