Leopards beat Saints in OT

March 31, 2011|By JACK HILL III | Staff Correspondent
  • Smithsburg's Dillan Harbaugh (29) fires a shot at Saint James goalkeeper Tommy Wagner, left, during Thursday's match at Smithsburg.
By Colleen McGrath/Staff Photographer

SMITHSBURG — Saint James and Smithsburg couldn’t decide their boys lacrosse match in 48 minutes of regulation play Thursday.

But when the fourth period ended, the Leopards put the sudden in sudden death overtime.

Kevin Grimm scored the game-winning goal just 33 seconds into overtime to give Smithsburg an 11-10 win over the Saints on a cold night at Coach Carroll Reid Field.

“It felt pretty good,” Grimm said. “I just saw an opening and I was hoping to put it in. It was pretty tough. I thought that we had them at the beginning of the game. Then they came back and made it a pretty good game.”

Grimm took a pass from Cullan Ganley on the left side and fired the winning shot past Saints keeper Tommy Wagner.

Ganley knew what to do when Smithsburg had an opportunity to score in overtime.

“I knew I couldn’t get the shot off,” Ganley said. “I saw Kevin cut toward the goal. He has been a pretty good scorer for us this year. So I just trusted him with the ball.”

Ganley had four goals and two assists for Smithsburg.

“There were times that their defense was heavy on me,” Ganley said. “But I was able to move around and get open.”

Grimm and Luke Slick each had two goals and an assist, while Dillan Harbaugh, Josh Thomas and Corey Dunkin added one goal apiece and Jordan Williams had an assist for Smithsburg (2-1).

Ryan Doyle scored five goals for Saint James (2-2). Andrew Ludwick added three goals and one assist, while Jamie Peterson had two goals.

The Saints grabbed an early 2-1 advantage, but Smithsburg scored the last four goals of the first quarter to build a 5-2 lead.

The Leopards were on top of the Saints by a 7-4 margin at halftime.

Smithsburg extended its lead to 9-5 with 8:24 remaining in the third quarter. By the end of the period, Saint James had narrowed the gap to 9-7.

The Saints went in front 10-9 with 2:23 to go in the fourth quarter. But the Leopards tied the score just 23 seconds later when Dunkin scored a goal off an assist by Slick to force the overtime period.

“It was a nice win after being beaten pretty bad by them last year,” Ganley said. “We just wanted to come out and stick it to them. The team showed a lot of heart to come back and get the victory. I thought our defense and our goalie played a great game. They made it easier for the offense.”

The Herald-Mail Articles