Advertisement

Crews battle house fire in Marion

March 01, 2011|By ROXANN MILLER | roxann.miller@herald-mail.com
  • Firefighters were at the scene of a house fire at 247 Colorado St. in Marion, Pa., Tuesday afternoon.
By Roxann Miller/Staff Writer

MARION, Pa. — One man was treated at and released from Chambersburg (Pa.) Hospital for smoke inhalation after a fire Tuesday at his home at 247 Colorado St. in Marion.

Cassie Hershey of Marion Fire Co. said when firefighters arrived at the multifamily brick home around 1 p.m. Tuesday, smoke was showing from the first floor and fire was coming out a first-floor window.

"The homeowner said he had an electric heater and tried to use it last night (Monday), and it wouldn't work," Hershey said. "But, he still left it turned on and then apparently the homeowner was sleeping when the fire started. He woke up because he felt heat and he saw the heater was on fire."

Attempts by The Herald-Mail to find the names of the occupants of the first- and second-floor apartments in the building were unsuccessful.

A Pennsylvania State Police fire marshal ruled the fire accidental due to a space heater, Hershey said.

"All the fire was on the first floor," she said. "The bedroom and the living room on the first floor were all burned up."

There was smoke damage on the entire first floor and parts of the second floor.

It took 20 minutes to get the fire under control.

Approximately one block of Colorado Street, between Colorado and Front streets, was closed to traffic for about 2 1/2 hours.

Hershey said a firefighter from Franklin Fire Co. suffered a minor eye injury, for which he was treated at Chambersburg Hospital and later released.

There was no information available Tuesday night about the condition of a dog that was taken to a veterinarian for treatment of smoke inhalation.

Fire officials contacted the Franklin County Chapter of the American Red Cross to assist the two people displaced by the fire.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|