Advertisement

Fire displaces residents of Virginia Ave. duplex

February 28, 2011

HAGERSTOWN — A family was displaced Monday morning when a fire ripped through a two-story duplex at 17401 Virginia Ave. near Hagerstown, the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office said.

The fire was called in at 3:25 a.m. It took 40 firefighters from five fire companies about an hour to bring it under control, according to a fire marshal’s office press release.

Damage was estimated at $150,000 to the structure and at $50,000 to the contents.

Fire officials said they believe the fire started in the basement when a power strip malfunctioned.

The occupants of the duplex were assisted by the Red Cross, the fire marshal’s office and Tony Pirrone of the Washington County Chapter of the American Red Cross said.

Fire companies from Halfway, Williamsport, Funkstown, Maugansville and Longmeadow responded to the scene.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|