Advertisement

Discarded cigarette caused townhouse fire

February 22, 2011

An improperly discarded cigarette was the preliminary cause of a fire that damaged a home Friday night at 11315 Grouse Lane east of Hagerstown, the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office said.

The fire started at about 11:19 p.m. on the rear deck of the two-story townhouse, according to a fire marshal's office news release. The damage was estimated at roughly $55,000 to the structure and $5,000 to the contents.

Thirty-nine firefighters took about 25 minutes to control the blaze, the fire marshal's office said.

The Hagerstown Fire Department and fire companies from Funkstown, Halfway, Mt. Aetna and Long Meadow responded to the blaze.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|