Fulton County man fatally shoots woman, then kills himself

February 20, 2011|By JENNIFER FITCH |
  • Ricky L. Hann
Ricky L. Hann

McCONNELLSBURG, Pa. — A Fulton County, Pa., woman is dead in a murder-suicide that police said occurred shortly after a man posted bail on a charge of kidnapping her Friday.

Pennsylvania State Police said Ricky L. Hann, 51, of McConnellsburg, fatally shot 39-year-old Tina Souders, then himself, at about noon Sunday. A police spokesman said Hann and Souders were boyfriend and girlfriend.

Police said Hann posted bail and was released from the Franklin County (Pa.) Jail in Chambersburg, Pa., earlier in the day. He was charged with kidnapping and five other offenses for allegedly holding Souders captive in her home for about 24 hours ending Saturday morning, police said.

Magisterial District Judge Carol J. Johnson set bail at $100,000 straight bond Saturday, according to a state police news release.

Police said Hann returned to Souders’ home on Cito Road in Ayr Township after leaving jail Sunday, kidnapped her and took her into a wooded area several hundred feet away. There, police allege Hann used a shotgun to kill both of them.

Trooper David McGarvey said someone called authorities to report Hann had returned to the mobile home, which is less than a mile and a half from McConnellsburg borough. Three troopers were coming up the lane when they heard gunshots, he said.

The troopers initially backed off, intending to call a special-response team, but soon discovered the bodies, McGarvey said.

Souders went to the McConnellsburg state police barrack Saturday to report the initial kidnapping, according to McGarvey. She said Hann arrived at her home asking that they “go for a ride,” which she refused, the news release stated.

Hann displayed a shotgun, threatened her life and kept her in the home against her will for 24 hours until she convinced him to let her go, police said.

Hann was arrested at 2 p.m. Saturday in McConnellsburg, police said. He was charged with kidnapping, burglary, terroristic threats, unlawful restraint, reckless endangerment and simple assault.

McGarvey said he believes that arrest was made without incident.

According to online court records, charges of simple assault, terroristic threats and harassment were filed against Hann in September 2010. He was awaiting a pre-trial conference on those charges.

On Nov. 5, 2010, he was charged with contempt for violation of order or agreement, but court records did not indicate the nature of that charge. He also was charged with “harassment — following in a public place” in 2003.

“She has had a protection-from-abuse order against him in the past, and he had been prosecuted for that,” McGarvey said, saying he was unsure whether the order was active at the time of the murder-suicide.

McGarvey said police are interviewing family members to continue their investigation. Troopers utilized a forensics team from Hollidaysburg, Pa., as well as a crime supervisor and criminal investigators.

“Usually where there’s an incident like this, they’ll call what is called a major case team,” McGarvey said.

The Herald-Mail Articles