'Gutsy shot' by Scott lifts HCC into semis

February 18, 2011|By BOB PARASILITI |

FREDERICK, Md. — Dameatric Scott knew he had everyone behind him, so he did the only thing to repay the confidence.

He put the Hagerstown Community College men’s basketball team ahead at the most opportune time.

Scott stuck a key 3-pointer from the top of the key with 2:01 remaining to give the lead back to HCC en route to an emotional 77-72 victory over Montgomery-Rockville on Friday in the quarterfinals of the Maryland JuCo Conference tournament at Frederick Community College.

“Coach (Barry Brown) believes in me a lot,” said Scott. “The whole team has been behind me. That gives me a lot of confidence. And then, when he is telling me to go and look for that shot, it made me want to knock it down.”

The shot was the final dagger in an up-and-down game for the Hawks (24-4). HCC trailed by eight and rallied to take a 41-32 lead at the half. Rockville (19-9) came back and took a 72-70 lead with 2:29 remaining on a drive by Ennis Whatley Jr.

Brown called a timeout 18 seconds later. In fact, Brown took four timeouts in the final 3:30 to make sure the Hawks knew exactly what they were to do.

“We were down to the point where every possession made a difference, and we were in a situation where we had them to use,” Brown said. “The team played real hard offensively and needed the rest and we were able to get them together to tell them exactly what we wanted them to do.”

Coming out of the timeout, the pass came out of the right side of the floor to Scott. He took one dribble to get his feet and buried the shot.

“That came in the flow of our offense,” Brown said. “I talked to ‘Meter’ (Scott) about taking that shot and I encouraged it. He is still the guy who can hit the big shot. When he let it go, I knew it was in. What a gutsy shot.”

After HCC’s next timeout, Lauren Coates stole the ball from the Knights and drove for a basket. Devin Miller added a pair of free throws with 4.9 seconds remaining to ice the game.

While Scott knocked down the big shot, it was another Hawk who provided the big shot in the arm for HCC.

“You can sum this game up in two words: Alister Chisholm,” Brown said. “He started with tremendous energy, he hit the boards and he didn’t stop until he scored. He was tremendous.”

Chisholm led HCC with 18 points, while Scott, Miller and Najee White finished with 12 each.

“I was just trying my best,” Chisholm said. “All my teammates helped me get good looks. I just try to do whatever it takes to win. Meter’s shot was critical.”

With the victory, HCC moves into Saturday’s 5 p.m. semifinal against Cecil, but it wasn’t without a sweat.

“This was a game of runs and we got the last one,” Brown said.

HCC 77, Rockville 72

Bazelais 4 34- 3, Satchel 3 0-0 3, Whatley 5 1-1 11, Serile 3 5-5 12, Cottonham 1 0-0 3, Hodo 2 1-2 5, Ogunfolu 2 0-0 10, Re. Osman 3 1-2 8, Ra. Osman 5 0-2 11. Totals 26 11-16 72.
Lynch 3 0-0 8, Scott 5 1-5 12, Chisholm 7 4-4 18, Miller 4 2-3 12, White 5 2-4 12, Handanovic 2 0-0 6, Jackson 1 0-0 2, Hairston 0 1-2 1, Coates 3 0-0 6. Totals 30 30-15 77.
Halftime — HCC 41, Rockville 32. 3-point goals — Rockville 9-24 (Satchel 3-7, Ogunfolu 2-5, Cottonham 1-3, Re. Osman 1-1, Ra. Osman 1-1, Bazelais 0-1, Whatley 0-1), HCC 7-24 (Lynch 2-4, Handanovic 2-6, Miller 2-8, SCott 1-3, Jackson 0-2). Rebounds — Rockville 37 (Whatley 8), HCC 35 (Chisholm 9). Assists — Rockville 17 (Satchel 5), HCC 15 (Coates 5). Turnovers — Rockville 18, HCC 13. Technical fouls — Hodo (flagrant).

The Herald-Mail Articles