Hubs top Rebels in stunner

North rallies from 16-point deficit in second half

February 08, 2011|By TIM KOELBLE |
  • North Hagerstown's D.D. Dickson (10), Trey Jessie, center, and Max Psillas celebrate the Hubs' come-from-behind victory over South Hagerstown on Tuesday night at South.
By Ric Dugan/Staff Photographer

HAGERSTOWN — Midway through the third quarter, the North Hagerstown student body certainly had to think it wouldn’t be storming the court after the Hubs’ city match against South Hagerstown on Tuesday.

After all, South was dominant through the early parts of the affair and held a 34-18 lead with 3:34 remaining in the quarter.

But a game lasts at least 32 minutes, and the Hubs used every last one of them in a rousing comeback that netted them a 48-47 victory.

“It should have never come to this,” said South coach Kevin Naylor. “We’re up by 16 and should just keep pounding it inside and we didn’t. We lost our discipline.”

North came back with its own aggressive nature offensively, especially in the final quarter, outscoring South 21-7 with most of the damage at the foul line.

“It was like a flood of white shirts going through our defense early,” North coach Kevin Hartman said. “We didn’t get a body on anyone.”

North was 14 of 16 from the foul line in the last period, with senior D.D. Dickson going 9-for-10 on the way to a team-high 18 points.

Dickson scored North’s final five points, including two free throws with 6.4 seconds remaining for a 48-47 lead.

Then, Charles Herring took the ball down the right side and uncorked a 3-point shot that rattled the cylinder, falling into the hands of Andre Pierre on the left side of the bucket. Pierre’s rebound shot banked in off the glass, but was a split second late with the clock expiring.

Dickson, who was 0-for-5 shooting and had just four free throws in the first half as North trailed 25-16, made a mental change at halftime.

“I just tried to do too much in the first half and said to myself to let the game come to me,” he said.

North got back into the game early in the fourth with a 9-0 run that cut the South lead to 42-41, with Dickson and reserve Tyreek Donaldson each scoring four points.

The Hubs tied the game at 45-all with 2:54 remaining when Dickson hit two free throws.

After Dickson hit 1 of 2 free throws to give North its first lead since finishing the first quarter on top 9-6, South’s Darico Provitt drove the lane to put South back on top 47-46.

“We had to come out and get some bodies on them in the second half or we were in trouble,” said Hartman.

Two of the efforts that pleased Hartman came from Donaldson, who responded with nine points and a team-high eight rebounds, and Andrew Yacyk, who helped clog up the middle and scored five points.

The loss offset an outstanding performance by Provitt, who hit 11 of 15 from the floor, pulled down 14 rebounds and scored a season-high 23 points.

“That’s a result of his intensity,” said Naylor. “We’ve been waiting for that.”

South shot 59 percent on 20 of 34 and outrebounded North 36-25. The Hubs hit 29.5 percent from the field on 13 of 44.

JV: North 55-48 (N: Teddy Schoeck 14, Nick Johnson, Troy Carbaugh 10 each; S: Mike Hill 11, Devon Redman 9).

North Hagerstown 48, South Hagerstown 47

Psillas 1-5 0-0 2, Dickson 2 14-16 18, Bachtell 2-6 0-0 4, Jessie 1-6 0-0 3, Colvin 1-2 1-2 3, Donaldson 3-5 3-4 9, Yacyk 2-4 1-1 5, Railing 0-1 0-0 0, Benson 0-1 2-2 2, Ballou 1-1 0-0 2. Totals 13-44 21-25 48.
Davis 1-5 0-0 2, Freeman 1-2 0-0 2, Pierre 2-9 6-8 10, Provitt 11-14 1-3 23, King 5-8 0-1 10, Hess 0-1 0-0 0, Wiley 0-1 0-0 0, Herring 0-3 0-1 0. Totals 20-34 7-13 47.
North    9    7    11    21    —    48
South    6    19    13    9    —    47

3-point goals—North 1 (Jessie). Turnovers—North 12, South 14. Rebounds—North 25 (Donaldson 8), South 36 (Provitt 14).

The Herald-Mail Articles