MCI inmate sentenced to five more years of prison for escape

Dominic Webster is now incarcerated at North Branch Correctional Institution

February 08, 2011|By DON AINES |
  • In this file photo, Trooper First Class T.G. Brown, right, of Maryland State Police in Hagerstown, takes inmate Dominic Webster to a waiting state police cruiser after Webster was captured on Md. 66 near Beaver Creek Country Club. Webster was sentenced to five more years in prison for his escape.
Herald-Mail file photo

HAGERSTOWN — Several hours outside the fence has cost Dominic Webster another five years behind bars, the sentence he received Tuesday in Washington County Circuit Court after pleading guilty to escaping from the Maryland Correctional Institution last summer.

"How'd you get out?" Judge W. Kennedy Boone III asked Webster during the sentencing hearing.

Webster, 51, consulted briefly with Assistant Public Defender Charles Bailey, who then told Boone his client "would respectfully decline to answer that question."

At 10:02 a.m. on July 30, 2010, Washington County Emergency Services received a call from a woman on Thomas Drive near Boonsboro about a suspicious person, according to a Maryland State Police report.

An officer at MCI later told police that a search of the compound for Webster began at about 9 a.m., and a lockdown began at 10:35 a.m., the report said.

No breaks were found in the prison's fence, and "the prison believes that Webster would have had to ride a vehicle out of the prison, and would have done so from the rear or south side based on its proximity to (Webster's) job at the dietary center," the report said.

At about 3 p.m. a trooper spoke with a man who said he had offered a ride to a man to the Sheetz store at U.S. 40 and Md. 66, the report said. Police confirmed it was Webster from store video surveillance, the report said.

Searchers tracked Webster north on Md. 68 to the Beaver Creek Country Club, where the management provided police with two golf carts to aid in their search, the report said. A bloodhound found Webster just after 4 p.m., hiding in a tree line between the golf course and the road, the report said.

Webster had reported for work at the dietary center at about 4:15 a.m., but asked to leave about 30 minutes later, saying he was sick, the report said. Prison records showed that a dairy truck made a delivery at the prison between 5:20 and 5:45 a.m., the report said.

The driver of the truck was later interviewed and told police that Webster had been acting suspiciously in the area of the loading dock on July 29, but that he did not see him on July 30, the report said. The driver expressed concern about food-service inmates being left unsupervised in the loading area.

The driver and prison reports indicated that all trucks are searched before they leave the prison, the report said.

"It is thought he was able to secret himself in some kind of a delivery vehicle," Assistant State's Attorney Michele Hansen told Boone. "They're satisfied they've secured the problem," she said, referring to the state Department of Corrections addressing the security breach.

Hansen said Webster has a record that includes armed robberies and assaults, and Bailey told the judge that his client's release date before this conviction was 2029.

Webster is now incarcerated at North Branch Correctional Institution in Cumberland, Md., Bailey said.

The maximum penalty for first-degree escape is 10 years. Boone noted that Webster committed no other crimes during his brief escape.

The Herald-Mail Articles