Renew dual-admission agreement


January 24, 2011
  • UMUC President Susan Aldridge and HCC President Guy Altieri sign the dual-admissions agreement between Hagerstown Community College and University of Maryland University College.
Submitted photo

HAGERSTOWN — Officials at Hagerstown Community College and University of Maryland University College recently met to renew and enhance their dual-admission agreement.

The agreement is designed to make it easier for students pursuing an associate degree at HCC to transfer academic credits to UMUC to complete a bachelor’s degree.

A reverse-transfer option is also available for students who have not graduated to transfer credits back to HCC and earn their two-year degree.

“We are very pleased to be able to include UMUC among the fine institutions with which we have articulation agreements,” HCC President Guy Altieri said. “This will allow students to seamlessly transfer from HCC to UMUC.”

“As a university with alliances with all of Maryland’s community colleges, we are excited to renew our longstanding dual-admission agreement with HCC,” UMUC President Susan Aldridge said. “UMUC is dedicated to making higher education accessible to  students in Maryland and throughout the world, and the renewal of this agreement is a testament to that dedication.”

The dual-admission agreement allows students to have access to UMUC services, including academic advising, financial- aid information and career counseling, the university’s extensive library resources, and other student services at UMUC and the University System of Maryland at Hagerstown.

Students can apply for the dual-admissions program as early as their senior year of high school, but prior to completing their associate degree at HCC.

Students must also meet UMUC admissions requirements, which include a cumulative grade-point average of 2.0 or better on all college-level work attempted at other regionally accredited colleges and universities, including University System of Maryland institutions.

The Maryland Community College Transfer Scholarship will be made available to dual-admission students who earn an associate degree at HCC and have at least a 3.0 GPA.

For more information about HCC, go to

For more information about UMUC, go to

The Herald-Mail Articles