Williamsport man named top trooper

January 09, 2011|By KATE S. ALEXANDER |

The Maryland State Police Aviation Command selected a Williamsport man as the 2010 Trooper of the Year.
Trooper 1st Class Carl Hardcastle, 53, of Williamsport, was selected to receive the award by his peers, according to a state police news release.

1st Sgt. W. Joe George, supervisor of the western region, said it was Hardcastle’s hard work, his efforts to go above and beyond, and his dedication that won him the award.

The aviation command awards one trooper with the honor each year, George said.

Hardcastle has been a member of the aviation command from 20 years. He is a senior tenured flight paramedic, a field training flight paramedic and currently serves as the aerial rescue/HEAT (helicopter emergency aerial team) technical expert, according to the release.

He has safely completed thousands of medevac missions on behalf of the aviation command, all with positive patient interaction, the release said.


George said that in addition to his work with the command, Hardcastle has given much of his free time to help the family of a fallen trooper.

“He has gone way out of his way to do this on his personal time,” George said.

Additionally, Hardcastle remained with the command despite being eligible for retirement, George said.

“We are fortunate that he did not retire when he could have,” George said. “If he had, we’d have been very short-handed on flight paramedics.”

According to the release, Hardcastle helped transport fatally wounded Smithsburg Police Officer Christopher Nicholson to what was Washington County Hospital in 2007.

In 2010, he was appointed as aerial rescue/HEAT technical expert, and spent hours updating the program to include exceptional safety and enhanced operational procedures, according to the release.

He has sought training to increase his knowledge and skills, the release said. Hardcastle passed this training onto other troopers, and he and the men were able to use it in October 2010 to rescue a wounded hunter from a swampy area along the Chesapeake Bay that was nearly two miles from a road, according to a release.

The Herald-Mail Articles