Advertisement

Boonsboro band uninvited as inaugural parade canceled

January 06, 2011|By ANDREW SCHOTZ | andrews@herald-mail.com
  • The Boonsboro High School band performs at the Showcase of Marching Bands in October 2010.
File photo

Boonsboro High School's band was asked to be in Gov. Martin O'Malley's inaugural parade in Annapolis this month — until the parade was canceled.

Shaun Adamec, a spokesman for O'Malley, said the circumstances weren't right for a parade this year.

"A parade carries a certain celebratory tone that frankly isn't all that appropriate this time," Adamec said. "We're in challenging times."

Micah Socks, the band director at Boonsboro High School, said he heard from Rob Hovermale, the school system's supervisor of visual and performing arts, that a Washington County band was being asked to be in the parade. Hovermale asked if Boonsboro would do it.

Socks said he accepted the invitation and told his band students, cautioning them that there still were details to work out.

The next day, word came that the parade had been canceled. Socks said the band took it in stride.

There will be an inaugural celebration after O'Malley is sworn in for a second term on Jan. 19, but it will be low key compared to 2007, when he started his first term. Adamec said it's important to mark the start of his term, but a re-election doesn't require as much fanfare as an election.

The inaugural celebration will be at the Fifth Regiment Armory in Baltimore. Tickets are $75 per person; or $50 for students and senior citizens.

Adamec said it costs money to build bleachers and a heated reviewing stand for a parade, which is not a good use of money in tight times.

The state is facing a budget deficit estimated at $1.6 billion.

Adamec said it was O'Malley's decision to scale back the inauguration festivities.

An e-mail about the inauguration sent to supporters on O'Malley's behalf read: "In recognition of the challenges that many Marylanders are facing, we decided to make the celebration less formal and more accessible than it has been in the past."

Organizers have asked inaugural attendees to bring a canned item to donate to the Maryland Food Bank.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|