Fire destroys log house in Lurgan Township

December 28, 2010|By DAN DEARTH |
  • Demolition and clean up is under way, Tuesday, after a fire burned down a log home on Mowersville Road in Lurgan Township, Pa.
Colleen McGrath

NEWBURG, Pa. — High winds helped feed the flames of a fire that destroyed a two-story log house Monday night at 10943 Mowersville Road in Lurgan Township, Pa., Newburg-Hopewell Fire Co. Chief Edgar Hoover said.

Hoover said the fire started earlier in the day in the chimney. The homeowners thought they had the fire under control, he said, but it flared up Monday night and quickly spread through the walls.

“They (initially) dealt with it themselves,” Hoover said. “It obviously had extension they didn’t know about.”

Hoover said it took about 40 firefighters roughly 15 minutes to control the fire, which was reported at 10 p.m. Water had to be drawn from nearby ponds to battle the blaze.

“We had no trouble getting water out there,” Hoover said “We had a good aggressive attack by the firemen who arrived at the scene. The bulk of the fire was knocked down really quickly.”

Hoover said the bulk of the damage was done to the attic and the second floor.

The financial amount of the damage was unavailable.

The Herald-Mail Articles