Advertisement

Dogs rescued from house fire

December 26, 2010

HANCOCK — A one-story house where dogs were being kept caught fire Sunday afternoon, gutting one room and causing significant heat and smoke damage to another part of the house, according to the chief of the Hancock Volunteer Fire Co.


No dogs died in the fire at 5128 Berm Road, Greg Yost said.


The house is off South Pennsylvania Avenue near the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal National Historical Park, Yost said.


Four dogs were rescued from the house and three were taken to local veterinarian Daniel A. Murphy, who is also the mayor of Hancock, Yost said.


Murphy was keeping two of the dogs Sunday night for observation, Yost said.


The family who owns the house kept dogs there because they cannot have dogs at another residence in which they live, Yost said.


There is a wood stove in the house, which the owners used to keep the dogs warm, said Yost, who added that the cause of the 1:30 p.m. fire is unknown.

Advertisement


Yost said he believes about six dogs were being kept at the property.


One firefighter suffered a cut at the scene and went to War Memorial Hospital in Morgan County, W.Va., for a few stitches, Yost said.

— Dave McMillion
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|