Advertisement

Amount of money man accused of stealing from Glessner up by nearly $500,000

Revised figure revealed in new criminal information filed against former chief financial officer Curtis Philip Pietro

December 17, 2010|By DON AINES | dona@herald-mail.com

HAGERSTOWN — A Hagerstown man charged earlier this year with stealing more than $189,000 from Glessner Alarm & Communications is scheduled to go on trial Monday in Washington County Circuit Court, but the amount he is accused of taking from the company has now risen to $671,972.77, Deputy State's Attorney Joseph Michael said Friday.

Michael revealed the upwardly revised figure when asked about new criminal information filed Thursday against former Glessner chief financial officer Curtis Philip Pietro.

The new charges filed against Pietro total eight counts, including operating a theft scheme of more than $500, a theft scheme of $10,000 to $100,000 and three counts each for forging and uttering checks, according to court documents.

Those charges involve approximately $20,000 that the county State's Attorney's Office alleged was stolen at various times from the Hagerstown company between Nov. 1, 2004, and Dec. 20, 2008, according to court documents.

Pietro is scheduled for an initial court appearance on the new charges on Monday, the documents said.

Pietro, 50, was indicted in September on 74 counts, including theft scheme of more than $500, theft scheme of $10,000 to $100,000, and 36 counts each of counterfeiting private documents and issuing false statements, court documents said.

Pietro was initially jailed at the Washington County Detention Center, but was later released on $25,000 cash bond.

At the time of Pietro's bond hearing, Judge W. Kennedy Boone III ordered that the cash bond be turned over to the victim in the event of a conviction and order for restitution.

Michael said at that time of the bond hearing that the amount of money taken from Glessner could be much higher. On Friday he said another $482,101.36 in missing funds had been identified by the investigation since the indictment.

The additional funds are covered by the charges in the original 74-count indictment, Michael said.

Pietro allegedly wrote himself checks from the company for the $189,000, Michael said. The additional $482,000 was diverted from the company by another method, which will be discussed in court Monday, he said.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|