Hagerstown man faces attempted murder charge

December 14, 2010|DAN DEARTH |
  • David Allan Hawkins
David Allan Hawkins

A Hagerstown man accused of stealing nearly $9,000 in lottery proceeds from the Elks Club on Robinwood Drive has been charged with choking his girlfriend in his home on Monday, according to Washington County District Court records.

David Allan Hawkins, 33, of 14 Redwood Circle, has been charged with attempted second-degree murder, attempted manslaughter, first-degree assault, second-degree assault, false imprisonment and reckless endangerment, court records show.

Hawkins, whose bond was set at $300,000, appeared on a closed-circuit TV link between the Washington County Detention Center and District Court for a bail-review hearing.

After Hawkins made a brief statement, saying he had no history of violence, Washington County District Judge Mark D. Thomas ruled that the bond would remain the same.

“I believe the serious offenses you’re charged with, the bond is reasonable,” Thomas said.

Hawkins was charged on Aug. 12 with allegedly taking $8,799 in lottery proceeds from July 18 to Aug. 10, while he worked as the bar manager at Elks Lodge No. 378 at 11063 Robinwood Drive near Hagerstown.


Hawkins played Keno with tickets that he printed at the club and couldn’t repay the money when he lost, according to allegations in court records. As a result, the Elks Club was unable to reimburse the Maryland Lottery Commission for the price of the tickets.

District Court documents show that Hawkins was charged in that case with four counts of theft from $1,000 to $10,000, four counts of theft under $1,000 and one count of theft scheme from $1,000 to $10,000.

The attempted murder and assault charges that were filed Monday stemmed from an incident that began at about 5 p.m., when Hawkins’ girlfriend, Sarah Mae Beryl Hartman, 22, received a call from an unknown male whom she believed had the wrong number, according to the statement of probable cause.

“She claimed that Hawkins became angry and accused her of cheating on him and they began to argue,” the charging documents said. “Hawkins then took the phone from Hartman and told her to leave the house, and she demanded her phone back. At that point, Hawkins pushed Hartman up against the wall and placed his hands around her neck/throat and began to shake her.”

Hawkins then allegedly dragged Hartman into the bedroom and pushed her onto the bed, where he attempted to strangle her and “kept yelling, ‘I’m going to kill you,’” the documents said.

Hartman was able to free herself and, when she tried to leave, Hawkins “grabbed her by her arm and pulled her back, and then grabbed her hair and dragged her down the stairs by pulling on her hair,” the documents said.

“Hawkins then told Hartman he was going to kill her, and then himself,” the documents said. “Hartman was finally able to get to her phone and threatened to call 911; at that point Hawkins began to throw items at Hartman as she left the home.”

Hartman called authorities after she left the home, the documents said.

Washington County Sheriff’s Office deputies said they noticed red marks on Hartman’s neck, the documents said. They later picked up Hawkins at a convenience store on Dual Highway.

Hawkins denied the incident when he was questioned by deputies, who said Hawkins told them that Hartman came to his house without being invited and became distraught when he tried to break up with her.

“(Hawkins) said that he had to push Hartman out of his home, and stated that he never strangled her or punched/slapped her,” the documents said.

Deputies wrote that an inspection of Hawkins’ cell phone showed the couple had agreed to meet.

“The messages appeared to show an agreement that Hartman was coming to Hawkins’ home to spend time with him, and that he did not object to it,” documents said.

The Herald-Mail Articles