Holiday cheer alive at Smithsburg ceremony despite cold weather

December 05, 2010|By DAVE MCMILLION |
  • A crowd attends the Christmas tree lighting ceremony Sunday at Veterans Park in Smithsburg.
By Colleen McGrath/Staff Photograph

SMITHSBURG — Wind swept across Veterans Park on a cold Sunday night as dozens of people gathered for the town’s annual Christmas tree lighting.
Musical groups performed, local residents enjoyed rides on a horse-drawn wagon and Santa Claus arrived in a 1946 firetruck once owned by the Smithsburg Community Volunteer Fire Co.
This year’s event was more elaborate than those held in previous years, said Mayor Mildred “Mickey” Myers.
The main Christmas tree in the park was donated by Oswald Nurseries Inc., and that tree, along with three others, was lit in Sunday’s ceremony at 5:30 p.m.
The tree lighting is a tradition that is usually followed by everyone heading down to the fire hall on Main Street for cookies and hot drinks.
“It always ends up being cold,” Myers said in the fire hall after the ceremony.
The members of a musical group from Chewsville United Methodist Church played their instruments on a night when the mercury dipped below 30 degrees. The Smithsburg High School show choir also performed.
Cold or not, Terry Furajter said nothing was going to stop his daughter Carson from attending the event.
“She wanted to see the big man,” said Furajter, referring to Santa’s appearance.
The 3-year-old girl, along with her father, her brother Reagan, 1, and her mother, Amanda, sat around a table enjoying treats at the fire hall after the lighting.
After the tree lighting, Santa went to the fire hall, where he heard gift wishes from children and handed out apples.
While Santa heard a variety of requests from kids, the man from the North Pole said he also talked to adults, who told him they wanted jobs.
“That shows you how bad the economy is,” Santa said.
More Christmas events are planned in town Saturday, including a Santa Claus parade at 3 p.m. and a children’s Christmas party at the fire hall at 4:30 p.m.

The Herald-Mail Articles