Gun used by 2-year-old had been stolen from federal officer's vehicle

September 29, 2010|By DON AINES

The gun with which a 2-year-old boy accidentally shot himself Monday morning was the personal weapon of a federal law enforcement officer that was stolen earlier this month from the glove compartment of his vehicle.

The Glock Model 27 .40-caliber semiautomatic pistol was reported stolen to the Washington County Sheriff's Office on Sept. 7, according to court documents filed by the Hagerstown Police Department. The pistol was taken from the vehicle of the officer at his home in Keedysville, the documents show.

The federal law enforcement officer to whom the weapon belonged works at Fort Detrick in Frederick, Md., according to the sheriff's office.

The boy, Mario Isaih Longus of 12842 Little Elliott Drive, Apt. 7, Hagerstown, remained in critical condition Wednesday at Children's National Medical Center in Washington, D.C., police said.


The boy shot himself in the chest after finding the gun under a bed, police have said.

An investigation into the shooting resulted in the arrests of the boy's 16-year-old brother, Marcus Deon Longus, who lived in the apartment, and his girlfriend, Fantasia Shantal Rivera, 17, police said.

Longus and Rivera each were charged with obstructing police, false statements to police, possession of a firearm by a minor, possession of a handgun on a person and theft of less than $1,000, according to the statement of probable cause in the case. Longus also was charged with leaving a loaded firearm where an unsupervised minor could gain access, the statement said.

Both were charged as adults, and at a bond hearing Tuesday in Washington County District Court, Longus' bail was raised from $25,000 to $100,000, court documents show. Rivera's bail remained at $15,000, according to documents.

Both were being held Wednesday at the Washington County Detention Center.

Longus and Rivera are scheduled for transfer hearings Oct. 12 to determine whether their cases will be heard in adult criminal court or in juvenile court, documents show. They are scheduled for preliminary hearings Dec. 12, according to documents.

Police determined there were nine people in the apartment at the time of the shooting, which was reported at 1:16 a.m.

The boy's mother, Danita Longus, told officers that four people, including Marcus Longus and Rivera, were awake in the living room at the time of the shooting, the statement of probable cause said. Danita Longus told police she did not know how her son was shot and that she did not believe there were any guns in the apartment, the statement said.

A search of the apartment, however, turned up a holster for a Glock inside a purse hanging in the closet of the bedroom where the boy was shot, the statement said. Detectives determined that Marcus Longus and Rivera were in a bedroom with Longus' sister Kendra, 19, and her boyfriend, Mike King, documents show.

Also in the room was the 2-year-old, who Kendra Longus said reached under his bed, at which time they heard the gun go off, the statement said.

Marcus Longus told police he found the gun a few days earlier in his sister's bedroom closet but said he couldn't explain how the gun got into the apartment, court documents show.

Marcus Longus told police he put the gun under a bed in his sister's bedroom, the statement said. He told police he wrapped the gun in a cloth after the shooting and that Rivera took it and left the apartment, according to documents.

Rivera told police she took the gun to a playground area in the apartment complex and put it in a stormwater pipe, the statement said.

No charges have been filed against anyone else at this point, Lt. Mike King of the Hagerstown Police Department said on Wednesday. The investigation was ongoing, he said.

The Herald-Mail Articles