Man shot three times at Robinwood Court apartment complex

September 25, 2010|By DON AINES

HAGERSTOWN -- One man was shot three times and another broke his leg fleeing the scene of a shooting Saturday morning in the parking lot of an apartment complex on Robinwood Court, according to police.

Robert Earl Mitchell, 22, of 165 S. Potomac St., and Christopher Lee, 21, of 1900 Abbey Lane, were taken to Washington County Hospital after the 3:12 a.m. shooting, Washington County Sheriff Douglas Mullendore said Saturday afternoon.

Mullendore pointed to cars in the parking lot damaged by the gunfire and said two firearms, one of them a handgun, were recovered.

Mitchell was shot in the buttocks and legs, but his injuries were not life-threatening, Mullendore said.

Mullendore said investigators did not have names of any suspects in the shooting and were looking for two vehicles that fled the parking lot after the shots were fired. One was a silver sedan and the other was a dark sport utility vehicle, Mullendore said.


"We don't know how many people were in the vehicles," Mullendore said.

The incident occurred as the two vehicles were parked in the lot and several people got out and approached another group of people gathered in the lot, Mullendore said. The bullet holes in the vehicles indicated those shots were fired by one or more people in the group that walked over from the parked vehicles, Mullendore said.

After being shot, Mitchell fled to an upstairs apartment at the end of Building 20209, Mullendore said. Eleven hours after the shooting, Hagerstown Police Department forensic personnel were leaving the apartment and deputies remained inside.

Mullendore said the apartment was searched. A van from the Crime Scene Unit of the Western Maryland Regional Crime Laboratory was in the parking lot Saturday afternoon as were several unmarked cruisers. Two marked cruisers were parked at the entrance of the apartment complex.

"We're getting a lot of conflicting information" from witnesses, Mullendore said.

Asked if anyone questioned had given investigators a plausible reason for the shooting, Mullendore said, "They don't have a clue."

One man said he came home at about 4 a.m. and had to wait an hour before police would allow him to enter his apartment.

The Herald-Mail Articles