Authorities believe an inmate at the Maryland Correctional Training Center south of Hagerstown burned himself early Monday when he tried to light something in his cell, said Mark Vernarelli, spokesman for the Maryland Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services.
"The inmate suffered a small welt and was treated on-site by MCTC medical personnel," Vernarelli said Monday in an e-mail.
Vernarelli said the inmate possibly was trying to light a cigarette.
The inmate suffered a second-degree burn to his left biceps, according to a press release from the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office.
The fire, which occurred about 2 a.m., caused about $300 in damage, the fire marshal said.