Advertisement

Antrim supervisors to rebid concession stand project

Newest plan calls for changes to materials not size

September 15, 2010|By DANA BROWN

GREENCASTLE, Pa. -- After more than a year and a half of discussion and debate over the cost to build a concession stand at Antrim Township Community Park, the Antrim Township Board of Supervisors on Tuesday voted to rebid the project as a scaled-down version of the original plan.

Brad Graham, township administrator, said the newest plan calls for changes to materials but not to the size of the facility.

"We're hoping to see a savings," he said.

The scaled-down plan includes a shingled roof instead of a standing-seam metal roof, standard concrete block instead of textured-face block, surface-mounted plumbing instead of running pipes inside the block, and eliminating a cupola from the roof, Graham said.

The cost -- estimated at about $150,000 for the original design -- is the sticking point for the supervisors, who have spent months considering several options for the project.

Advertisement

Previous construction bids did not meet board approval. In July, the supervisors considered modifying the original project design, then voted against seeking additional bids and moved to drop the concession stand from park plans altogether.

Last month the board revisited options for building the concession stand including recruiting volunteers to provide free labor to reduce the overall cost.

Graham told the board no volunteers came forward. He asked if they wanted to rebid the project with modifications in an effort to reduce the cost.

Matching grant money is available from the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources to help fund the project. The township would have to equally match the amount of the grant.

"If you go out for bid, we're still talking about utilizing grant money," Graham said.

Supervisor Fred Young III expressed his frustration with the board's ongoing debate over the issue.

"I look back on the history of how long we've been working on this...here it is almost 18 months later," he said.

Supervisor Samuel Miller said he wanted the board to only consider bids that come in "by the book."

Miller said he wanted the bidding to be fair and suggested the supervisors disqualify bids that do not follow specs.

Young pointed out that the board had already rejected a low bid of $139,000 and asked the board if there was a predetermined figure that would meet their approval.

Supervisor James Byers would not give a dollar amount but said $139,000 was "too much."

Vice-chairman Curtis Myers encouraged the supervisors to come to agreement on their next step.

"If you want to do this, we're going to do this," he said. "Remember there is grant money involved."

Graham said the architect will need to prepare the bids to include the modifications. He expects the project will go out for bid within the next two weeks.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|