Advertisement

Unattended oven cause of Smithsburg house fire

September 14, 2010

SMITHSBURG -- A house fire Monday night at 13137 Greensburg Road was caused by an oven left unattended, according to a news release from the Maryland State Fire Marshal's office.

The accidental fire north of Smithsburg resulted in about $30,000 in losses, the release said.

The owner/occupants of the house were listed as Joanne and Don Cowden, the release said.

It is believed the fire started in the kitchen, said Chris Rohrer, chief of the Smithsburg Community Volunteer Fire Co.

The fire also caused heat and smoke damage throughout the house, making it uninhabitable, Rohrer said.

The fire was reported at 8:10 p.m. and firefighters arrived at the scene in about four minutes, Rohrer said.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|