Powerful Titans shut out Hubs

September 12, 2010|By ANDREW MASON

Next weekend, the North Hagerstown girls soccer team will play for its seventh straight Washington County tournament title.

While the Hubs' local dominance has been remarkable, in the grand scheme of things, it's only counted for so much.

That's why North's 2-0 loss to state-power Tuscarora on Saturday night at Mike Callas Stadium still counts for something.

While the Hubs have never appeared in a state final, the Titans, who are only in their seventh year as a varsity program, are three-time Maryland state champions. They won the Class 3A title last year.

"I'm glad we're playing these games. I want this. It's going to make us better," North coach Rick Aleshire said. "Any time I can play a team like Tuscarora, I'm going to play them."

The Titans (2-0-1), who have seven starters back from last year, outshot the Hubs (1-2) 14-1 and had a 6-1 advantage in corner kicks.


But the game was still scoreless at halftime.

"(North) played intelligently," Tuscarora coach Mark Wolcott said. "They took a lot of space away from us in the first half and made it pretty difficult. Their structure and organization are very, very good.

"But eventually we broke through."

In the 41st minute, just moments into the second half, Katie King punched a goal into the right corner of the net from close range for a 1-0 Titans lead.

North's lone shot --a free kick by Kelsey Smith from about 30 yards out in the 57th minute -- looked like it might tie the game, before sailing over the crossbar.

"That was a beautiful shot," Aleshire said. "A little more knuckle and it's in."

Tuscarora made it 2-0 in the 70th minute on a goal by Aaron Parry, an all-state first-team forward last year.

Goalie Rivka Herrera finished with nine saves for Hubs, and Aleshire complimented the play of defender Morgan Grunberg and midfielder Katherine McCain.

n Tuscarora defender Allison Yard suffered a neck injury in the 63rd minute and left the stadium in an ambulance, as the game was delayed 25 minutes.

"I think she's going to be OK," Wolcott said. "A lot of it was precautionary."

The Herald-Mail Articles