Advertisement

Raleigh Street Extension work likely to begin in October or November

Right of way acquisition has not been completed

September 02, 2010|By MATTHEW UMSTEAD | matthewu@herald-mail.com
  • Excavation of the route for the new 1.2-mile Raleigh Street extension in Martinsburg, W.Va., by Pro Contracting Inc. was under way Wednesday.
By Matthew Umstead, Staff Writer

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. —  Construction of the first section of the Raleigh Street Extension in Martinsburg may not begin until October or November because right of way acquisition has not been completed, according to West Virginia Department of Transportation officials.

Clarksburg, W.Va.-based Pro Contracting Inc. in June was awarded the first segment of the 1.2-mile project between Edwin Miller Boulevard and West Race Street.

The company's $4,542,454 bid was the lowest of nine submitted, according to the state.

Aside from right of way acquisition, the state also has been working on obtaining right of entry on some of parcels, WVDOT spokesman Brent Walker said recently.

"Of course on all projects we would like to have completed acquiring right of way before contracting projects out but, at the same time, on projects where we are close, we don't necessarily want to delay the awarding because of a process we are near in completion," Walker said in an email.

Advertisement

The contract awarded entails building a four-lane road from the intersection of U.S. 11 and W.Va. 9 (Edwin Miller Boulevard) to within one-quarter mile of the extension's eventual intersection with a relocated Tavern Road, according to the WVDOT's highways division.

A one-span bridge also is part of the contract.

The second contract for the Raleigh Street project has yet to be advertised, according to Walker.

To accommodate the new road, two ball fields at Oatesdale Park will be relocated within the recreation area.

On Tuesday, Martinsburg City Council awarded the ball field project to W. Harley Miller Contractors Inc. of Martinsburg. The contractor's $1,106,500 bid was the lowest of two that were submitted, City Manager Mark Baldwin said.

The state previously committed $1 million toward the ball field relocation and the city will formally request additional funding to cover the total cost, Baldwin said.

Baldwin told council members that he did not anticipate any problem with obtaining the additional funding.

Baldwin said the total cost, including work already completed on the project, was estimated be about $1.2 million.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|