Fire marshal called in to probe Pa. blazes

August 29, 2010|By JULIE E. GREENE
  • Frank Hershey, a Pennsylvania State Police fire marshal, looks over the burned-out remains of a second-floor room at 485 East Ave. in State Line, Pa., on Sunday afternoon.
By Joe Crocetta, Staff Photographer

STATE LINE, Pa. -- A Pennsylvania State Police fire marshal was called in to investigate suspicious fires at a single-family home near Town Square in State Line, a Greencastle Rescue Hose Co. officer said Sunday.

Approximately 50 firefighters responded to fire calls at 485 East Ave. at 9:44 p.m. Saturday and 1:17 a.m. Sunday, Fire Capt. Mike Luger said.

There were three fires at the residence, Luger said. The people living in the home didn't call firefighters to the first one because they put it out themselves, he said.

Nobody was hurt in any of the fires, Luger said.

The first fire started around 8:45 p.m. Saturday when towels next to the stove ignited, Luger said. That fire caused minor damage and was accidental, he said.

The second fire, reported at 9:44 p.m. Saturday, was in the first-floor living room and extended into a second-floor bedroom, Luger said.


People were home when firefighters responded to the 9:44 p.m. fire, Luger said. After that fire, the power was turned off at the house, which was determined to be uninhabitable, he said.

The six people who lived in the home refused an offer to contact the American Red Cross and planned to stay with friends and family, Luger said.

The third fire, reported at 1:17 a.m. Sunday, caused considerable damage to the second floor, including two bedrooms and a bathroom, Luger said. No one was at the house when firefighters arrived to battle the third fire, he said.

The causes of the second and third fires were undetermined, and a fire marshal was expected at the house Sunday afternoon to investigate, Luger said.

Firefighters responding to the last two fires came from Greencastle and Marion fire companies in Pennsylvania, and from Maugansville, Long Meadow and Halfway fire companies in Washington County, Md., Luger said. The Franklin County Air Unit also responded.

The Herald-Mail Articles