Pa. man charged in domestic assault has bail raised by $400,000

August 27, 2010|By DON AINES

A Pennsylvania man charged with breaking into a woman's house and assaulting her had his bail more than doubled Friday in Washington County District Court after Deputy State's Attorney Joseph Michael said the man's behavior brought to mind past domestic violence cases that ended in murder.

"The words of intent are what the state is really concerned with," Michael told District Judge Dana Moylan Wright at the bond review hearing for Jason Wayne Rudisill.

"Like the state, I'm concerned about potential risk," said Wright, who raised Rudisill's bail from $350,000 to $750,000.

Rudisill, 25, is charged with first- and third-degree burglary, first- and second-degree assault, reckless endangerment, malicious destruction of property and theft of less than $1,000 in the incident Wednesday at the woman's Colonial Drive home in Hagerstown.

In a separate incident earlier that day, Rudisill is charged with second-degree assault of the same woman, according to court records. Bail in that case remained at $25,000, court records show.


Michael told Wright the allegations against Rudisill reminded him of Timothy Sucik, Steven Barr and Douglas Pryor, all of whom were convicted of murders rooted in domestic violence.

Sucik was convicted of the 1994 stabbing death of his estranged wife, Marian Sucik; Barr was convicted of the 2004 attempted murder of ex-girlfriend Kathy Mayers and the shooting death of her boyfriend, William Grant; and Pryor was convicted of the 2007 murders of ex-girlfriend Alison Munson and Smithsburg Police Officer Christopher Shane Nicholson, according to published reports.

Rudisill was taken into custody Thursday, according to the Washington County Sheriff's Office. One of the cases lists his address as the woman's home; the other lists a last known address of Nottingham, Pa.

The first incident Wednesday occurred when the woman, who is Rudisill's girlfriend, burned a pizza and he became upset, according to the application for statement of charges. When deputies arrived, the woman had a bloody nose and a swollen eye, the application said.

The woman said Rudisill punched and choked her, and threatened to kill himself with a knife, the application for statement of charges said. Deputies were unable to find Rudisill at the time, the application said.

Rudisill returned to the woman's home before 1 p.m. and kicked in the door, the application for statement of charges said. He again beat and choked the woman, smashed her belongings with a hammer, and threatened to kill her and himself with a knife, the application said.

The woman escaped and ran to a house where a police officer lives, but no one was home, the application for statement of charges said. She ran back toward her home, but Rudisill, who had gotten into his vehicle, jumped out and started beating her again, the application said.

Several people saw that assault, with some coming to the woman's aid and at least one person calling 911, the application for statement of charges said. Rudisill fled before police arrived, but he called the woman while deputies were at her home, the application said.

The Herald-Mail Articles