Advertisement

Hagerstown man burned when ammunition in fire explodes

August 26, 2010

A Hagerstown man was taken to Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center in Baltimore after he was burned Tuesday while burning trash that contained live ammunition, the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office said.

Larry Wolfe, 31, of 806 Lanvale St., was listed in good condition Thursday morning, a hospital spokeswoman said.

The incident, which was ruled an accident, occurred Tuesday at about 8:30 p.m. in the 600 block of Beaver Creek Road near Funkstown, according to a press release from the State Fire Marshal's Office.

The fire marshal's office said Wolfe was burning trash outside when live ammunition that he unknowingly placed in the fire exploded. Burning debris from the explosion hit Wolfe and caused second-degree burns to the right side of his body, the release said.

Community Rescue Service and the Funkstown Volunteer Fire Co. responded to the scene.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|