Man who pleaded guilty to Jan. bank robbery sentenced to four years

August 18, 2010|By DON AINES
  • Alvie Robert Fairall

A Hagerstown man who pleaded guilty in May to the Jan. 6, 2010, robbery of The Columbia Bank branch on Wesel Boulevard was sentenced Wednesday in Washington County Circuit Court to four years in prison.

Circuit Judge John H. McDowell sentenced Alvie Robert Fairall Jr. to 12 years in prison, but suspended eight of those years. McDowell also ordered that Fairall be on probation for five years after his release from prison and that he pay $2,475 in restitution to the bank.

In exchange for the guilty plea, charges of armed robbery, theft, two counts of second-degree assault and three handgun charges against Fairall were dismissed, court records show.

Faifall's sentence was made consecutive to any other sentence he is serving. A month after the bank robbery, Fairall pleaded guilty to an unrelated theft charge in Washington County District Court and was given a one-year prison sentence, court records show.


Shortly after 9:30 a.m. on Jan. 6, a man with a blue scarf across his face entered the bank, approached a teller a showed what appeared to be a small-caliber pistol, according to the statement of probable cause filed by Hagerstown Police. The man told the teller to "give me all of your $50s and $100s," the statement said.

A witness saw the man run from the bank and get into a vehicle parked behind Value City, the statement of probable cause said. The witness followed the car for a distance and wrote down what he thought was the license plate number, the statement said.

A search of motor vehicle records turned up a license number similar to the one the witness reported and it belonged to a vehicle registered to Fairall. Images of the vehicle were caught on a security camera outside of Roy Rogers, the statement said.

Fairall's wife told investigators that he admitted to robbing a bank and, fearing his car had been identified, drove to West Virginia, where threw the weapon, money and clothing from the robbery into a river, the statement of probable cause said.

Fairall was taken into custody at a motel in Franklin County, Pa.

The Herald-Mail Articles