Advertisement

Hospital's auxiliary members honored

Volunteers recognized for number of hours served

July 31, 2010
  • New Washington County Hospital Auxiliary board members, from left, Barb Resh, president; Donna Schnurr, president-elect; Jackie Korrell, vice president; Thelma Summers, recording secretary; Gladys Unger, corresponding secretary; and Larry Summers, treasurer, wait to be inducted at the annual June Day celebration. Not pictured: Thomas Brewer, assistant treasurer.
Submitted photo,

Washington County Hospital Auxiliary held its annual general meeting, known as June Day, on June 16, at the Hagerstown Church of the Brethren.

The annual event is held to honor those hospital auxilians who have reached milestones in hours given in service to Washington County Hospital and to recap the business activities and achievements of the auxiliary, a registered, nonprofit corporation.

Auxiliary President Betty Dattilio, finishing her two-year term, gave a report on the state of the auxiliary, which included a report on fundraising events, and her personal message to the volunteers. Through her term as president, Dattilio and the Board of Directors and auxilians raised more than $520,000, much of which went toward the auxiliary's pledge to the capital campaign for the construction of the new Meritus Medical Center.

During the meeting, a new executive board was elected for a two-year term. The newly elected auxiliary leaders were installed by representatives from Maryland Association of Hospital Auxiliaries, Julie Wojcik, MAHA president, and Sharon Fossler, MAHA president-elect.

Advertisement

The new executive board includes Barbara Resh, president; Donna Schnurr, president-elect; Jackie Korrell, vice president; Lawrence Summers, treasurer; Thomas Brewer, assistant treasurer; Thelma Summers, recording secretary; and Gladys Unger, corresponding secretary.

James P. Hamill, president and CEO of Washington County Health System, presented service awards to 49 auxilians and four volunteens who had achieved specific levels of service hours. Awards were presented to volunteers based on 1,000-hour increments of service given by adults and 100-hour increments by teens:

1,000 hours: Florence Campbell, Kathleen Collins, Kitty Deshong, Joyce Flynn, Sharon Frey, Richard Grier, Roseanne Grimm, Judy Norris, Candy Reynolds, Kenneth Schmidt, Donna Schnurr, Carolyn Smith, Larry Summers, John Werking and Paul Wolfensberger.

2,000 hours: Joan Baer, Wayne Burkhart, Jean Dailey, Mickell Forrest, John Hetzer, Betty Mann and Irene Moore.

3,000 hours: Edda Brenneman, Janet Cameron, Ingrid Cronise, Faye Katchur, Dale Seburn and Hazel Waggoner.

4,000 hours: Judy Meagher, Tom Perry and Marian Wiebel.

5,000 hours: Darce Easton, Jacques Hager, Barb Resh, Lynn Rice and Gladys Unger.

6,000 hours: Betty Dattilio and Pat McCauley.

7,000 hours: Carolyn Gish.

9,000 hours: Mary Snook.

10,000 hours: Shirley Barr, Jean Goodnight and Priscilla Greiner.

11,000 hours: Annabelle Kayser.

12,000 hours: Evelyn Hamburg and Doris Young.

18,000 hours: Sandy Busey.

19,000 hours: Linda Hovis.

25,000 hours: Sue Fiedler.

Volunteen awards went to Katie Coffman, Paige DeVore, Kelsey Smith and Kandis Stoy.

In addition, three hospital employees who have assisted the auxiliary in meeting its goals were given honorary associate membership in the auxiliary: Judy Bartin, Shelly Crate and Margaret Myers.

Hamill thanked the volunteers for their many hours of service. "I'm very proud of how the organization has come through over the past year." he said. "Thank you for what you do every day. You are integral to who we are."

Under the writing and direction of Jean Goodnight, auxiliary office manager, a musical skit was presented by the volunteers. The musical included appearances by one of the health system's vice presidents, Mary R. Towe, and hospital board member Barbara Miller. Musical accompaniment was provided by Barbara Peters and her student, Jennifer Kang.

The mission of the auxiliary and its 460 active and associate members is to supplement the staff of the hospital, provide care and comfort for patients, and raise funds for new hospital equipment, scholarships, and patient care programs. The auxiliary volunteers have given more than 3,100,000 hours of service since 1952, and have raised more than $4 million for the hospital.

Chartered in 1904 and opened in 1905, the hospital is accredited as an acute care facility by the Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations. It includes not only inpatient and outpatient services but also two cardiac catheterization labs, the John R. Marsh Cancer Center, Total Rehab Care at Robinwood, the Weight Loss Clinic, the Stroke Center, the Wound Center, and the Center for Clinical Research.

For more information, call 301-790-8000.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|