Advertisement

Fire causes $250K in damages to Leitersburg Pike barn, contents

July 29, 2010

Authorities say a fire caused about $250,000 in damage to a metal barn and its contents early this morning north of Hagerstown.

The fire at 20319 Leitersburg Pike was reported at about 2:05 a.m., according to press release from the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office.

Investigators believe the fire started accidentally when grease and oily rags that were near an electrical service line spontaneously combusted, the release said.

The fire marshal said damages were estimated at $50,000 to the structure and $200,000 to the contents, which included a Volvo salvage truck and two John Deere tractors.

Advertisement

About 60 firefighters from more than 10 departments in Maryland and Pennsylvania responded to the scene, the fire marshal said. It took about 90 minutes to control the fire, according to the release.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|