Case against man accused of impersonation put on inactive docket

David Melvin Graven was ordered to pay $125 fine

July 27, 2010|By DON AINES

One of two Hagerstown men charged with impersonating uniformed emergency services personnel had his case placed on the inactive docket and was ordered to pay a $125 fine Tuesday during an appearance in Washington County Circuit Court.

Placing a case on the inactive docket is a conditional stay of proceedings, according to Maryland state law.

David Melvin Graven, 20, of 20610 Jefferson Blvd., also was charged with conspiring to impersonate a uniformed official, obstructing and hindering police, and conspiring to obstruct or hinder police in a Feb. 13, 2010, incident on Interstate 81, according to the application for statement of charges filed by Maryland State Police.

Circuit Judge Daniel P. Dwyer ordered Graven to pay the fine for using flashing lights on an unauthorized vehicle.

State police had gone to the scene of an accident on northbound I-81 near the Md. 68 exit, according to the application for statement of charges in the case. While there, police saw a red passenger car with flashing lights being driven on the shoulder, the application said.


The car stopped and two men got out, each wearing reflective jackets with "Emergency Services" lettering and carrying portable radios, records show. Graven told the trooper that he and his passenger, Forrest Jordan Gunter, 20, of 1318 The Terrace in Hagerstown, were with an organization called REACT, heard the call on their scanner and had come to assist at the scene, the application said.

Dealing with Graven and Gunter interfered with the trooper's primary duties at the crash scene, records show.

"It was determined that they do not belong to any emergency services organization that involves them directing traffic or anything associated with accident scenes or police situations in this county," the application said.

Gunter was in court for a bench trial in the same incident, but his case was continued until September, Assistant State's Attorney Gina Cirincion said.

The Herald-Mail Articles