Woman, Boonsboro man charged with sexually abusing child

Documents: Girl's mother did not intervene when she was being molested

July 14, 2010|By DON AINES

A Boonsboro man and a Tennessee woman have been charged with sexually abusing a child between April 2007 and November 2008, after the victim revealed details of the assaults to authorities with the Tennessee Department of Children's Services.

Gerald Wayne Hubbard, 67, of 20726 Park Hall Road, and Christy M. Woods, 33, no fixed address, each were charged by the Washington County Sheriff's Office with first-degree rape, second-degree rape, second-degree sex offense, third-degree sex offense, fourth-degree sex offense, sexual abuse of a minor, sexual abuse of a minor as a continuing course of conduct and second-degree assault.

The grandmother of the 7-year-old girl told authorities in Tennessee last month that the child had disclosed the alleged sexual assaults during a therapy session, according to the application for statement of charges in the case. The girl alleged a man she knew as "GW" began having sexual relations with her while she and Woods were staying on the man's property in Maryland, documents show.


The girl, who was 5 years old at the time, said she and Woods stayed in a camper without running water and that Woods did not intervene when "GW," later identified as Hubbard, was molesting her, according to the application. The girl said Woods would tape her mouth shut to keep her from screaming during the assaults, records show.

Woods eventually called the girl's grandmother, who came and picked up her and the girl in November 2008 and returned them to Tennessee, the application said.

Hubbard and Woods came to know each other through an online chat room in 2006 and she began visiting him with the girl during the summer, records show.

In August 2009, Woods left Tennessee, records show.

Investigators with the Sheriff's Office on July 9 searched a property on Taylor's Landing Road, where they found Hubbard and Woods, Detective Casey Barnes said.

The investigation into the case is ongoing, Barnes said.

The girl is with her grandmother in Tennessee, Barnes said.

Hubbard and Woods were taken to the Washington County Detention Center on $175,000 bond. Woods was still in custody Wednesday, but Hubbard posted bail Monday, a detention center official said.

The Herald-Mail Articles