$30,000 worth of cocaine, 2 pounds of marijuana seized in W.Va.

June 11, 2010|By MATTHEW UMSTEAD

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. -- Authorities seized $30,000 worth of cocaine and about two pounds of marijuana Friday morning from a Kearneysville, W.Va., area apartment, West Virginia State Police Sgt. T.C. Kearns said.

Steven Craig McDaniel Jr., 29, of 306 Needy Road, Kearneysville, and Taneka Renea Payton, 26, of Chalmers Court, Berryville, Va., were charged with possession with intent distribute cocaine and marijuana, as well as conspiracy to deliver cocaine and marijuana, according to Berkeley County Magistrate Court records.

McDaniel was in Eastern Regional Jail Friday evening on a $60,000 cash-only bond set by Magistrate JoAnn Overington, according to jail and court records.

Payton was released from custody after bail was posted on a $70,000 bond, according to court records.

Troopers and members of the Eastern Panhandle Drug and Violent Crime Task Force executed a search warrant about 10 a.m. Friday, according to Kearns' announcement.


Upon seeing the police, Kearns said McDaniel dove out of bed toward a nightstand and threw a large bag to the floor.

A loaded .45-caliber semiautomatic handgun was found in the nightstand and the bag contained about 330 grams of cocaine, which Kearns said has an estimated street value of $30,000, according to the news release.

Also discovered by police in a search of the residence was about $8,500 in cash, as well as digital scales with cocaine residue and numerous plastic baggies, according to Kearns. The marijuana seized has an estimated street value of $2,500 and Kearns said another digital scale found by police had marijuana residue on it.

"Both sets of scales had a noticeable amount of cocaine and marijuana on each respectively," Kearns said in the news release.

There were two children less than 4 years old in another bedroom of the residence when police searched the residence, Kearns said.

Officials with the state Bureau for Children and Families Child Protective Services division responded to take custody of the children, Kearns said.

The Herald-Mail Articles