Advertisement

Electrical fire displaces Waynesboro family

May 14, 2010|By KATE S. ALEXANDER

WAYNESBORO, PA. -- An electrical fire displaced a Waynesboro family Friday when it sparked in the basement of their three-unit apartment building.

Waynesboro Fire Department Chief David Martin said the fire broke out in the electrical box at 125 Tritle Ave., near the Waynesboro Ambulance Squad.

What caused the 10:20 a.m. fire will remain unknown, he said.

"We have no idea what caused the fire," he said. "The box was pretty well destroyed."

Firefighters from Waynesboro, Mont Alto, Pa., and Leitersburg, Md., were able to contain the fire to the box and the wiring around it, limiting damage to the home, Martin said.

Besides the destroyed electrical hub, the property sustained minor smoke damage, Martin said.

He estimated damage at $1,000 and said the apartment could not be lived in until the wiring is restored.

The Franklin County Chapter of the American Red Cross was assisting the family with temporary living arrangements, Martin said.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|