Advertisement

Fire marshal: House fire caused by improperly-disposed-of smoking materials

May 10, 2010

CLEAR SPRING -- Improper disposal of smoking materials was listed as the cause of a residential fire Saturday night that caused more than $400,000 in damage, according to a news release from the Office of the Maryland Fire Marshal.

The two-alarm fire at the home of Debra and Scott Hammond, at 13180 Independence Road, started at about 8:30 p.m. in the area of the home's rear deck, the release said. It took firefighters about 45 minutes to bring the fire under control, according to the release.

Damage to the house was estimated at $385,000 and damage to its contents was estimated at another $25,000, the release said.

The fire was reported by occupants of the two-story, single-family house, according to the release. No residents or firefighters were injured, the release said.

Advertisement

Saturday's windy conditions made containing the fire more difficult, Deputy Chief State Fire Marshal Jason Mowbray said.

About 50 firefighters from Clear Spring, Williamsport, Maugansville, Halfway and Longmeadow fire companies responded, along with the Mercersburg, Montgomery, Peters and Warren Fire Co. from Mercersburg, Pa., according to the release. Also responding were Washington County's Special Operations 20, and the air and rehab units, the release said.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|