Conditions improve for two involved in fatal accident

May 10, 2010

Editor's note: An earlier version of this story listed an incorrect age for Danielle R. Paikin. That age was provided by the Maryland State Police. The Herald-Mail apologizes for the error.

HAGERSTOWN --The medical conditions have improved for two of three Washington County residents who were injured in a fatal car accident Thursday on Md. 65 near the entrance to Antietam National Battlefield.

William J. Turner, 20, of Sharpsburg, was released Saturday from Washington County Hospital, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Joseph Dwyer, 25, was listed in fair condition Monday afternoon at R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, a hospital spokeswoman said. His condition previously was listed as serious.

Lauran Dwyer, 21, who also was taken to the shock trauma center, remained in serious but stable condition Monday.

Both Dwyers are from Clear Spring.

Turner broke one of his ankles in two places and required about 50 stitches to treat injuries to his tongue and face, his father, Luther Turner, said Friday.


Maryland State Police said Turner was driving south on Md. 65 at about 1 a.m. when his 1982 Dodge Diplomat and a northbound 1993 Buick Century driven by Lauran Dwyer collided. The Buick also was occupied by Joseph Dwyer and Danielle R. Paikin, 20, of Newark, Del.

After the two cars came to rest, a Nissan Maxima driven by Cory Kuczynski, 25, of Williamsport, struck the passenger side of the Buick, state police said Thursday.

Paikin was pronounced dead at the scene of the accident, Maryland State Police said.

A trooper drove Kuczynski to Washington County Hospital in a police car, Maryland State Police 1st Sgt. Kevin Lewis said Friday.

A hospital spokeswoman said Thursday that Kuczynski was taken to the emergency room and released.

Joseph Dwyer was flown directly to Shock Trauma, and Lauran Dwyer was taken by ambulance to Washington County Hospital, then transferred to the shock trauma center, Lewis said.

William Turner also was taken by ambulance to Washington County Hospital, Lewis said.

-- Dan Dearth and Heather Keels

The Herald-Mail Articles